Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Commissions: OPEN.

Commission and Print Information
I will now be opening commissions and selling prints of my existing art! Why, you ask? Because college is expensive. No, I'm not planning to receive enough commissions (or even draw that many in my entire lifetime) to pay for tuition or housing; that's ridiculous. Bluebooks, pencils and pens, and my unhealthy addiction to coffee, however... Yeah. It adds up.

I never thought I'd really open commissions. My traditional art lacks a certain something, and the concept of drawing something for someone online without them actually being able to hold the product in their hand, well... it just sits funny with me. Then, I discovered a print shop on campus... But more on that in a different section. It's important to me for my potential customers to be able to hold the product they pay for in their hands.

♥ How to Get Some Art! ♥

Confused by this wall of text? Here are some simple, step-by-step instructions to order some art:
1. Choose either a custom commission (guidelines below) or a print of my existing artwork (from facebook, deviantArt, etc).
2. Choose your print size (guidelines below).
3. Read the terms of agreement (below).
4. Fill out the order form and send it to me (both form and methods of contact are below)!

The Products
I will be selling both custom commissioned art (that is, art that I create specifically for you) and prints of my existing art. Since the commission prices are more complicated, I'll cover those first, and then I will cover print prices.

♥ Custom Drawings ♥

There are several reasons why a custom drawing might be a good choice for you:
...♥ It is of whatever you want! Roughly. I mean, if you're buying my art, I trust you to know what my strengths and weaknesses are. I won't refuse to draw anything I normally wouldn't, but let me politely tell you that if you want a realism portrait of you and your favorite pet dog overlooking a detailed babbling brook in a meadow of daisies, you are ordering from the wrong girl, and it will probably turn out like, frankly, crap. This is not to say I am afraid of a challenge! But, come on, I'm a cartoonist; you all know what I do. ;)
...♥ It guarantees you shared rights to the image. You can use this image wherever you want, as long as you don't lie and say that you drew it yourself. Hell, you don't even have to tell whoever asks that I, personally drew it. Just don't remove my signature and don't claim you drew it. If you were to just buy a print of my existing art, you would not be able to have shared rights for it.
...♥ Commissions are very versatile. Use them as gifts (Buy your friend a commission of them for their birthday! Everyone loves cartoon versions of themselves.), as framed art, as posters, even as references for your own characters or art.

♥ Prices And Descriptions ♥

...♥ Sketches — After much consideration, I decided to sell sketches as well as other things, so people who don't want to spend a lot of money can still buy my art. My sketches are not like ordinary sketches. They are not considerably messy; they are just less smooth than my line work (see below). They will not contain a background. Sketch prices are as follows:
......♥ Up to two characters: $10
......♥ Each additional character: $5
...♥ Line Art — Simply lines with no colors. My line art, if I may brag, is crisp and bold. Feel free to print and use your commissioned line art as coloring practice, or for anything else you might want to. Like sketches, line art pieces will not contain a background.
......♥ Up to two characters: $15
......♥ Each additional character: $5
...♥ Colored Commissions — These are what most of my art is: full-colored pictures. There are a few things to be noted on these. First, unlike sketches and line art, if you order a colored commission, buying a print of it is mandatory. As I said above, it is important to me that my clients be able to hold the products they buy in their hands, especially a product so in-depth as a fully colored and shaded picture. Another thing to be noted about these is the information about backgrounds. Unless specified, your picture will have a background of patterns or designs that compliment the image. Take a look through my various art pieces and you will see what I mean. Another important piece of information concerns pricing. Since these pieces are much more in-depth than even line art, the base price is different, and only includes one character.
......♥ One character: $20
......♥ Each additional character: $10

♥ Notes on Commissions ♥

...♥ References — If possible, please provide me with a reference of what you want me to draw. I don't mean objects, like a violin or a bicycle, I mean people, such as yourself, a friend, or a character. If you are using a custom commission as an illustration for a fictional character and you don't draw often and therefore do not have a picture for reference, never fear! As long as you tell me what the fictional character looks like in detail, I can draw it for you, no problem.
...♥ Posing — Please, please, PLEASE tell me what pose you would like any people to be in. This doesn't just mean what the people are doing; I also need to know if you would like a head shot, full body, torso-and-up, etc. By default, I will draw people in a casual pose from the waist up.
...♥ Creativity — If you don't have a specific person, character, etc in mind, don't worry. I can totally just have you say "draw me a girl with a green mohawk" and I will go completely wild and make you the coolest damn mohawked girl you have ever seen. In fact, those are the commissions I love best: being able be totally creative and have tons of fun with whatever simple guidelines you give me.
...♥ Demand — Due to how in-depth these can get, I will only be working on five slots at a time. You can still order a commission if all the slots are filled, but I won't start working on yours until all five current projects are done.
...♥ Digital Copies — When you order a commission, even if you order a print of it as well, I will e-mail you a high-resolution digital copy of your completed commission, unless you prefer me not to.
...♥ Other Commissions — In addition to my illustration, I also do a bit of graphic design on the side. Logos, banners, backgrounds, tattoo designs, magazine covers, even something cool for your school or work projects. Tell me what you want and we'll work out a price together! :)

♥ Examples of Types of Commissions ♥

...♥Sketches1 2
...♥Line Art1
...♥Colored Works1 (head shot) 2 (full body) 3 (waist/torso shot)

♥ Prints of Existing Artwork ♥

Just as there are several reasons why a custom commission is for you, there are also many reasons to buy a print of any existing artwork I have:
...♥ If you have a favorite piece of mine, you can get a print of it.
...♥ They are (much) cheaper than custom commissions: you pay only for printing, postage, and a usage fee.
...♥ If I have previously done a request for you, you can order a print of it instead of paying for a commission.
...♥ They are much faster, as I am not drawing anything new.
...♥ I will often make art that is meant to be a poster; that is, it is designed to look great on anyone's wall.
...♥ Although I only accept five commissions at a time, I accept an unlimited amount of print orders.
...♥ When I say any work of art, I mean any work of art: even my traditional pieces. Please note that I do not do traditional commissions.
...♥ Note: For Prices of Prints, see "Print Pricing," below.

♥ Print Suggestions ♥

1 2 3 4 5

♥ How I Print ♥

Above, I mentioned that I was inspired to finally open commissions because I found a print shop on my college's campus. This shop, called The Spot, is amazing; everything there is excellent, from their paper choices and their friendly employees, to (of course) the sheer quality of the prints they produce. They make things super easy to do, and I can't stress enough just how high the quality of their prints are. I felt it was important to include this and produce a link to their site so you all can get an idea of the quality your prints will be; I'm not just buying paper and printing them out on a sub-par home printer.

The paper I print on is extra-heavyweight, glossed paper. The colors show up very richly and, unlike photo paper, the surface is not "sticky" and does not yield to fingerprints easily. For comparison, the paper is a bit thicker than posters you'd buy to hang on your wall, and has relatively the glossy finish of a photograph without the "stickiness" that photo paper brings, as I mentioned. In addition, I draw on extremely large documents to assure no loss of detail or stretched images during the printing process.

In addition, if you want any type of special printing, such as on canvas, vinyl, or art paper, include that in your order and I'll price it out for you.

Also, please note that I print per order. This is what makes my prints so special. I don't print twenty or even ten prints of a single drawing at a time, I print one, just for you. I am, quite honestly, not interested in selling my prints in bulk. I want my art to be something special and quirky; a nice conversation piece in your home that nobody else will have! :) I also sign and date the back of every print that I ship out.

♥ Print Sizes/Prices ♥

...♥ Small (8.5" x 11")
......♥ Commission Print: add $3 to commission price.
......♥ Print From Existing Artwork: $10
...♥ Large (13" x 19")
......♥ Commission Print: add $5 to commission price.
......♥ Print From Existing Artwork: $15

♥ Posters ♥

If you would like a poster that is larger than 13" x 19" (which makes a pretty good sized mini-poster typed thing), tell me the dimensions you would like and I will give you a price! :)

Payment and Postage
I have never actually sold art before, so I'm not sure what payment and postage plans will work best for me. These plans are apt to change based on how well they seem to work for both me and you.

♥ Payment ♥

Payment, for now, can be done one of two ways for commissioned work and one way for prints of existing artwork. I will primarily use Paypal Invoices as payment methods. The way this works is, at the time of ordering, you will give me your email address, and I will send you a secure invoice through Paypal. On the invoice will be a link that will take you directly to the place you need to go to pay. For more about Paypal and about how secure (very, fyi) their payment methods are, go to their website by clicking here. Note: If you really, really, REALLY have a problem with Paypal or paying online in general, include that in your order and we can work something out.
...♥ Commissioned Work — One way to pay for commissioned work is in two phases. The first phase will be a pre-payment. As soon as you fill out the order form, I will send you an invoice for approximately half of the total payment. I do this for several reasons, including security of artwork and ability to pay printing and shipping phase. After I send your artwork, I will send you an invoice for the remainder of the payment, which is phase two. The other way, which may be easier for you, is just to pay the whole amount up front.
...♥ Pre-made Prints — All pre-made prints require payment before the art is shipped.

♥ Postage ♥

All prints are shipped ground with UPS. After you place your order and give me your address, I will inform you of how much postage will be... Shouldn't be more than a dollar or so, depending on the size and quantity of the print(s) you order, and it should take no more than a few days to ship. :) Please note that, as of right now, I am only selling prints and non-sketch/line art commissions to US citizens, until I figure out how international postage works. This, however, could be very soon!

Other Miscellaneous Information

♥ Alerts ♥

I will keep you posted on the progress of your commission. At the end of this note I'll have a little progress list for each current order. I will email or message you when your commission is done, and after I have sent it.

♥ Disclaimers ♥

By ordering a commission or a print from me (herein referred to as the seller), you (herein referred to as the buyer) agree to the following restrictions:
1. The seller has the right to post the commission that the buyer has ordered on any art communities or sites, providing that the seller give credit to the buyer for ideas in the case of any original characters the art contains, unless the buyer specifically requests the seller not to post said artwork anywhere.
2. The buyer may not re-sell or use for profit any artwork created by the seller unless the seller gives explicit permission to the buyer.
3. The buyer may use custom commissions on any non-profit common as long as the seller's signature is not removed and the buyer does not claim creation for the art. The buyer may not, however, use non-custom artwork for any reason except for strictly enjoyment purposes.
4. The buyer may not alter the seller's artwork in any way and then present it as the buyer's own creation.
5. The buyer must pay the seller in full by the agreed upon date.
6. The seller is not responsible for any damage that befalls the prints due to the fault of the postal service. (This includes bending, folding, loss of mail, et cetera.)
7. The buyer must be aware of the fact that these terms are apt to change whenever the seller sees fit.


In addition, by me (the seller) providing my service to you (the buyer), the following requirements must be met:
1. The seller must alert the buyer of all costs in the invoice sent to the buyer.
2. The seller must provide a quality piece of art. The seller recognizes that the word "quality" is very objective, and must listen to the buyer's claim if the buyer feels that the product is not satisfactory.
3. The seller must complete the art in a timely fashion as specified by the buyer's and seller's order/agreement. If the seller, for any reason, has a delay on art production, the seller must notify and receive approval from the buyer regarding a new date of completion for the product.
4. The seller may not claim creation of any content or ideas included in the commission that belong to the buyer or anybody else.
5. The seller must produce artwork, period, after receiving any payment.
6. If a print gets lost, stolen, or destroyed in the mail, the seller must, upon request, produce a receipt for the shipment and production of said item to prove to the buyer that the product was made.
7. The seller must alert buyers and potential buyers of any change in policy or pricing to the best of the seller's ability.


Placing an Order
So you'd like to buy some art? Awesome! Clear and fill out the form and choose a contact method below to send it to me!

♥ Order Form ♥

1. Name: Your name.
2. E-Mail Address: A valid e-mail address THAT YOU REGULARLY CHECK. Even if you order through facebook, AIM, or even over the phone, I still need an e-mail address, as this is where your invoice will be sent.
3. Order Type: Commission or print of existing artwork?
4. Commission Type: Sketch, line art, complete colored piece, or something else? If you're ordering a print of an existing piece of art of mine, skip down to item number seven (7).
5. Commission Description: Tell me exactly what you want! :) This is where you would tell me if you wanted something besides an illustration. This is also where you should provide links (or attachments) to any reference you want to include.
6. Payment Plan: In full or in parts.
7. Print Size: 8.5" x 11", 13" x 19", OR a bigger poster size for which we will discuss the pricing. If you are not ordering a print, skip to item number ten (10). Please note that all complete colored pieces must be bought as a print, but you can buy prints of sketches and line art as well.
8. Mailing Address: Self-explanatory.
9. Mailing Notes: If this is a surprise for a friend and you need it quicker, you can specify overnight delivery. Other than that, other notes on shipping go here.
10. Miscellaneous Notes: This is where you would specify any publishing preferences (ie, me not posting your commission to facebook or other art sites), different paper preferences, etc.

♥ Contact Information ♥

...♥ E-mail: rgrossblatt@gmail.com (note that this is different from my leisure mail account)
...♥ facebook URL: http://www.facebook.com/rosietheposie (note: please do not comment me with an order form. message me instead!)
...♥ AIM: guilty scapegoat
...♥ MSN: honeysuckle_tea@hotmail.com
...♥ deviantArt: http://clonie.deviantart.com

1 comment:

  1. I can personally vouch that every piece Rosie puts out is high quality, both artistically and physically. They look gorgeous either framed or pinned to the wall! They draw a lot of attention and there is a lot more to these works than you might notice at a first glance. Do yourself a favor and pick up something gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete